Valley Brook Baptist Church

1198 North Valley Brook Road

Decatur, GA 30033

(404) 292 - 0212

History of Valley Brook Baptist Church

In September 1956, Dr. James L Baggott, then city missionary for the Atlanta Baptist Association, reported to the First Baptist Church of Decatur, a new subdivision known as Valley Brook. During the latter part of 1956, a survey was conducted of the area. It was noted there were about 600 homes, and no church within about 2 miles of the center of the area. After some searching, a six room house was located on 5 acres of land at what was then 2150 Valley Brook Road. The address was later changed to 1198 North Valley Brook Road. This house and land was purchased from Mr. John W. Landers for $18,000.

Mid-week prayer services, Sunday School and church worship services were started on June 14, 1957. On the first Sunday there were 68 present in Sunday School. During the first year a room was added and a porch enclosed under the leadership of Mr. Guy Rutland, Jr. Some of the other people from First Baptist providing leadership were: Mr. & Mrs. Grady Wilson, Mr. Festus Moncrief, Mr. C.E. Benefield, Mr. Bill Wilson, Mr. Bob Winfree and Mrs. Bill Wilson.

Rev. Thomas Rowe also assisted and was called to serve as pastor during the summer of 1957. Rev. Rowe left in September 1957 to go to Southern Seminary. A pastorium was purchased on Anthony Drive, with monthly payments of $67.64, and Rev. Ray Collins was called as the first full time pastor. Rev. Collins came from the First Baptist Church of Buchannon, Georgia and began to serve on October 1, 1957.

Valley Brook Baptist Church was constituted and dedicated on June 1, 1958. It grew in one year from 32 members to 120 members. There was a building fund already started to add needed space.

The first budget adopted was $14,508.84. The first Easter sunrise service was held in April 1958. The first church secretary was Mrs. A. L. Manderson, at a salary of $1 per hour not to exceed 6 hours per week. The first deacons were: Mr. James H Austin, Jr., W.E. Barrett, Ralph C. Davis, W. Morris Davis, Joe B. Britt, William J Brothers and John Ford.

June 10, 1959, the membership voted to build the sanctuary we currently worship, at a cost of $152,000.